Monday, February 28, 2011

Fakebook er I mean facebook

How many of my friends are on facebook? Well, according to facebook, I have 91 friends. I had no idea there were that many people that are willing to speak to me let alone look at the inane ramblings of an Old Guy. As it turns out, there are 7 people that follow this blog from facebook. Funny... 7 people including myself... Of course my family reads this thing when I post something once in a blue moon. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way complaining or suggesting nobody likes me. I don't even like the taste of worms. I digress...

Facebook seems like a good idea at first. Keeping up with old acquaintances, renewing old friendships and the like. I wonder how many of us actually do that? You get to looking around find other things to do like games and causes to get involved with. I even tried something called Farmville. The idea is to cooperatively build up a farm and play at making it the best farm possible. I expanded rather rapidly and was finding that I had to work at it. Getting notices that I needed to do things, planning out what time I had to be home to get on facebook to harvest, plow and plant. Oh, and don't forget helping out your neighbors. I also began having trouble with the interface then so I decided to quit playing. Some find that to be relaxing and fun... I don't. To those that were my neighbors, I'm sorry but, I have a job already.

The causes run the gamut from A to Z. I saw some that I agreed with then became bombarded with requests... I got rid of most of those too. I've discovered that it just doesn't pay to "like" anything but what my 91 friends say when they actually say something. OH well....

Then there's the ranting as folks try to either make a point, comment about a recent event or share an opinion. I also don't like when someone tries to convince me that their particular political views are the only reasonable sane views there are... An honest debate is ok but, ranting about it and using abusive speech just makes them look like an idiot. All I can say I guess is, just get over it! They are not the at the center of the universe and they won't change my mind. I also discovered something during one of these exchanges. I'm offended when someone has the preconceived notion that I hate groups of people just because I disagree with what they are or, what they do or, what they say. This is simply not the case. I get it that racial discrimination is bad, I also I really do understand how and why people do what they do unless they physically or emotionally hurt others. So let's just agree to disagree and move on. Life is way too short.

I'm off my soapbox now... facebook has numerous security and privacy concerns with new ones coming up all the time. Bottom line: be careful! You have the power to say no... usually. Facebook's security flaws and weird policies aside, It's a lot of fun under the right circumstances. As long as you are careful about online security, courteous to those you interact with and spend a reasonable amount of time on facebook, I think it's a good thing. I always appreciate someone's comments, suggestions and interaction. After all, we call each other friends don't we?



Powered by ScribeFire.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Excellent post, Dad! Peter and I both joined Facebook as a way to keep up with the friends we've made along the way who are scatted all over the world, thanks to the Navy. But I've added a few college friends, relatives, and even some old high school friends to the mix as well. One thing I have noticed about Facebook is that sometimes you learn things about people you wish you never knew. For the most part, my friends tend to keep debates civil, or steer clear of such topics entirely. But there are a few bad apples that have come close to ruining the experience for me entirely, whether through debates gone wrong or through status updates revealing a side of them I wish I'd never seen. Maybe one of these days it will be enough to make me deactivate my account. But for now, Facebook still provides a good medium for keeping up with our Navy friends.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I know what you mean Melissa. Civility in a debate today is a rare thing. For some reason, certain people feel they can't make a point logically so they resort to a juvenile attempt at belittling the opposition. Oh well... One of the frustrating things is to hear the deafening silence from the ones I know agree. It seems we've gotten to the point where to keep peace we just don't bother to say anything. Oh well... Out of my 91 "friends," only a few bother to remark on things I post. As a result, I'm about a millimeter away from deactivating. I guess I'm just as bad I don't comment very much either. It's quickly becoming a waste of precious time.