Sunday, September 28, 2008

Fall Fly Fishing Fling

Last week was my annual fly fishing trip with 3 friends. I started this trip maybe 12 years ago with a friend Scott. Along the way, we added Arnold and Dave who have made the trips very enjoyable. We started out fishing only in Mammoth Lakes since I knew the water there. Scott Dave and Arnie have all fished from Clearwater Lodge a lot more than I have. So, on my 50th birthday we went to Clearwater. This time was for Dave's 50th birthday. In 2 years we'll go for Scott's 50th birthday. I guess we'll have to find a good reason to for for Arnie... maybe when he retires? We all flew out of Ontario on Southwest Airlines on Sunday and came back Thursday. We stayed at Clearwater Lodge near Fall River Mills, which is about 55 or so miles southeast of Mt. Shasta. Interestingly, the Lodge is located on the near the Pit River. Also within striking distance of the Lodge are Hat Creek, Fall River and Mcloud River some of the west's best blue ribbon waters. Arnie and I fished the Fall River all 3 days with our guide, Dax. The fishing was epic on the Fall. Dax who has been guiding there for 10 years said it was the best 3 days of fishing he's ever seen on the Fall River. Large trout were slurping up PMD's, Callibaetis and another microscopic mayfly we couold not imitate. Below is my smiling mug with my best fish, a 20" Rainbow and some other photos from the trip. If you'd like to see all of them, email me and I'll send you a link to the album.



my 20" rainbow tasken on a dry

one of the most photographed barns on the river

another respectable rainbow taken on a nymph



some of the prettier scenery on the river


Mt. Shasta


The food at the lodge was outstanding, the staff was courteous and the rooms comfortable. The guides are a lot of fun especially when an "experienced" angler as myself go fishing with them. To describe my first couple of casts as substandard is putting it mildly. Dax said on the first one "That's not your best work." Then on the second one "That was apalling!" Arnie had a two fish thing going almost the whole trip. He'd catch or get hit by 2 fish then nothing for awhile. The ribbing back and forth with Dax and Arnie was good natured and fun. I don't have any idea how many flies I broke off. After fishing around here most of my life, I don't have much experience playing large trout. Keep the rod tip up is the best advice going. The 6x tippet may just have a chance to stay together, ya know? Scott fell into the Pit River from Andrew's (his and Dave's guide) drift boat. Falling into the Pit River is real easy to do if you're wading it but out of the boat? I guess he got excited about the fish he hooked. We all caught some real nice and very beautiful trout on the trip. The one day we had a pool, Scott won with a 20" fish from the Fall. I guess I should have gotten one going the other 2 days...LOL. Well, I'll conclude this by saying that I ALWAYS look forward to another fishing trip with the guys and in 2 years for Scott's birthday is no exception.


Until next time,

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR me Hearties!!!!!!!


OLD GUYS RULE!!


No comments: